[glue-wg] Comparison with CIM

Laurence Field Laurence.Field at cern.ch
Mon Apr 28 14:39:40 CDT 2008

Hi Paul,

CIM has been on the radar ever since the start and has never really left
it. Within the OGF there are number of DMTF representatives and one,
Ellen Stokes from IBM, is a member of this working group. Although not
in the working group charter, one of the aims is to render Glue using
CIM in order to make an OGF vendor extension to the CIM schema. Sergio
may correct me if I am wrong but he is intending to write some CIM
information providers for Open Pegasus to publish information related to
grid services. Whenever we have had questions, such as what is the
syntax for expressing the OS, we investigate the solution first in CIM.
However, for all the details it sometimes misses quite a few helpful
things. :)

Both myself and Sergio have attended DMTF meetings to discuss our mutual
needs and to gain some experience on the respective environments. CIM is
excels at describing detailed information about hardware resources and
setup of a data center but it is weak when it comes to software life
cycle management and abstract services. Paul Strong from e-bay is
pushing the software life cycle management part in the reference model
working group and we are essentially looking at the abstract grid
services. If the Glue schema becomes on OGF recommendation and we make a
vendor extension to the CIM schema, the DMTF representatives will most
probably take this to the DMTF to find out what the next steps should be
and if this is relevant to a wider community.

The Storage Networking Industry Association (SNIA) is a member of the
DMTF and probably has something to do with StorageDevice schema. When
starting this group we tried to find someone from SNIA to participle.
After some initial interest, we did not manage to find anyone who could
spare the time. If you think it might be helpful to get someone
involved, I can fish out the details from my email archive and chase
this up.

 From looking at the UML, I am a little unsure of how this helps in the
discussion. Please could you explain in more detail why this is relevant?

btw,

I notice that as MediaAccesssDrives:

1) They have CDROMDrive and DVDDrive with out sub classing from
OpticalDrive.
2) They are missing both SolidStateDrive and Holographic Drive
3) They do get extra points for a Worm Drive but lose some for the
missing Warp Drive

:)

Laurence