[glue-wg] Datastore proposal

Burke, S (Stephen) S.Burke at rl.ac.uk
Thu Apr 17 05:26:17 CDT 2008

glue-wg-bounces at ogf.org
> [mailto:glue-wg-bounces at ogf.org] On Behalf Of Maarten Litmaath said:
> Can we collapse the tape with the cache into a single
> Datastore that has both an Online and a Nearline component?

I would say not, the basic idea of a Datastore is to make it
homogeneous. Is there a real problem with having a many-to-many relation
between Share and Datastore? In LDAP I think it's OK, you just put
pointers in the objects as appropriate, i.e. a Share has ForeignKeys
pointing to all of its related Datastores (and you could have pointers
the other way as well, Datastore to Share, but I'm not sure it's
necessary). Does that give a significant problem in the other
technologies? For relational implementations you'd need an intermediate
table but it's not that bad (we have that for all multivalued attributes
anyway). For XML I don't know how it works.