[glue-wg] DENY rules

Burke, S (Stephen) S.Burke at rl.ac.uk
Tue Apr 15 07:24:29 CDT 2008

glue-wg-bounces at ogf.org
> [mailto:glue-wg-bounces at ogf.org] On Behalf Of Laurence Field said:
> The aim of Glue within OGF is to try and bring
> some of the other specifications together and not define so much by
> ourselves.

That's fine where specifications exist, but if they don't and people
nevertheless want to publish something we have to establish some kind of
rules. The alternative is that we tell Nordugrid that they can't publish
such things unless someone else decides the standard - is that
acceptable? Or else Nordugrid publish things which aren't interoperable
so e.g. we can't submit jobs from EGEE to them, as I believe you are
trying to do. For that matter, the decisions by the EGEE authz working
group don't represent any kind of standard, in practice they can only be
standardised if we include them in Glue.

>  From what I can see on the use of DENY tags within EGEE,
> this is a big hack to work around a implementation problem in the
glite
> middleware and as such should not dictate what is done in Glue.

This particular case is nothing to do with EGEE, the request comes from
Nordugrid. However, if EGEE had decided to keep DENY tags I don't see
that we would have any choice but to include it in Glue - the
alternative would be that EGEE would have to abandon interoperability.
Similarly we have agreed to include the EGEE wildcard matching rules in
Glue - are you saying we should refuse to do that? If so it will not be
possible for GLUE-compliant middleware to submit to EGEE.

> We should just be able
> to published the ACLs in the FQAN format and that is it.

If it doesn't satisfy real use cases that can't be it.

> If publishing only the FQANs does not work, it is not necessarily an
> information model problem but architectural issue that needs
> to be fixed
> and should be pushed back to those dealing the Authentication and
> Authorization. We need to take a more minimalistic approach do the
> schema definition and not try to fix other peoples problems.

I don't think that's realistic. It's a major struggle to get people to
adopt Glue at all - I would give only 50/50 odds that Glue 2 will in
fact be adopted by LCG for example (we're still trying to get glue 1.3
features adopted). If we can't support significant use cases the chance
drops to pretty much zero.