[glue-wg] [XML] some questions

Sergio Andreozzi sergio.andreozzi at cnaf.infn.it
Thu Apr 10 11:01:54 CDT 2008

Hi Paul,

Paul Millar wrote:
> 1. In the Base type we define a Validity as an int 0..1,

Here there is probably a misunderstanding. The validity is actually a
UInt64 in the latest spec. It represents the number of seconds that the
information is considered relevant by the info provider expressed in s.
In the current XSD, the data type is int (to be updated).

> 2. XML nillable vs Validity
>
> XML Schema allows entries to be "nillable"; that is, the corresponding point
> in the XML tree can be empty, even if has required content.  For example,
> AdminDomain has a required child element: ID.
>
> <Grid>
> 	<AdminDomain>
> 		<ID>CNAF</ID>
> 		<!-- more here -->
> 	</AdminDomain>
> </Grid>
>
> If AdminDomain was nillable, the following
>
> <Grid>
> 	<AdminDomain/>
> </Grid>
>
> would still be valid (i.e., pass the XSD validation).
>
> The current XML Schema has nillable switched off for all elements.
>
> Do we want to express invalid objects by simply publishing empty objects?
> Does it make sense to publish an AdminDomain with validity=false and a
> ComputingService with validity=true ?
>
> I'm not particularly advocating this, but rather posing it as an interesting
> question.  See also (a random Google find):
>
> http://www.stylusstudio.com/xmldev/200309/post20390.html

maybe we should rename Validity to Expire? :)

anyway, given the today discussion, we should probably not add nillable
elements. The mandatory attributes should be published using the values
mentioned in the appendix.
What do you think of it?
> 3.  Adding "unknown" as a place-holder enumeration value for all enumeration
> types.
>
> Do we want to include an "unknown" (or similar) value for the enumerations?
> This would be to satisfy the two use-cases described in Appendix A.
>
> This is perhaps not an XML-specific question, though.

ok, this is something that could be done. Let's listen to other opinions.

Sergio
> Cheers,
>
> Paul.

Sergio Andreozzi
INFN-CNAF,                    Tel: +39 051 609 2860
Viale Berti Pichat, 6/2       Fax: +39 051 609 2746
40126 Bologna (Italy)         Web: http://www.cnaf.infn.it/~andreozzi