[glue-wg] Capacity representation

Burke, S (Stephen) S.Burke at rl.ac.uk
Wed Apr 9 10:00:48 CDT 2008

Hi,

On the Capacity issue, I think one source of confusion is that the
current document shows a single Capacity with three lines linking it to
share, MappingPolicy and Environment. That's misleading, because a
single instance of Capacity can only ever be linked to one of those. For
this kind of thing I think it would be better to have three separate
Capacity boxes, each linked to only one other object, to make it clear
that Capacity is an attribute of some other thing (the Capacity of this
Share, etc). In fact the link to MappingPolicy shouldn't be there at all
because it's another example of the same kind of thing: a Mapping Policy
is an ACL, which has no independent existence, it's also just an
attribute of something else (Share in this case). There are other things
in the schema which behave like that, e.g. Location (you can only talk
about the Location of some other thing).

  (You could say that UniqueID is an extreme example of this - many
things have a UniqueID attribute, but by definition they are all
different.)