[glue-wg] Software Packages in schema

JP Navarro navarro at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Sep 10 09:30:02 CDT 2007

Hello Gerson,

Below is an example of what TeraGrid participants currently publish
about
software. I offer it as an example/strawman of what could be added to
GLUE.

<Software>
   <Name>apache-ant</Name>
   <Version>1.6.5</Version>
   <Default>no</Default>
   <HandleType>softenv</HandleType>
   <HandleKey>+apache-ant-1.6.5</HandleKey>
</Software>

TeraGrid coordinate the Name of software components, and Version formats
for a given Name so that users can compare across institutions. The
attribute indicates if the software is in the default user
environment, so
users know whether they need to do anything to access the software.

HandleType and HandleKey provide information about how to access
software
that IS NOT in the default user environment.  The TeraGrid has
standardized
on the SoftEnv system (HandleType=softenv) for software setup. But, this
schema was designs to accommodate other handle types, for example:

   "setupscript" -> could indicate that HandleKey has the fully
qualified
                    name to an environment setup script
   "modules"     -> could indicated that HandleKey is a module name
   "executable"  -> could indicate that HandleKey has the fully
qualified
                    path to the executable
   <other options are possible>

TeraGrid informations services have been publishing this information in
production for about a month. The TeraGrid's 18 HPC resources publish
~800 Software entries and ~100 unique Name components.

There is one additional attribute we're considering for our next schema
version, a software Type or Class attribute.

Regards,

JP Navarro
------
John-Paul Navarro                                               (630)
252-1233
navarro at mcs.anl.gov                            http://www.mcs.anl.gov/
~navarro
TeraGrid Software Integration                Univ of Chicago/Argonne
Nat. Lab.
GPG: 4EA9 C86B C0F0 113D 6306  98B7 3649 D6CB EFA8 4133