[glue-wg] TeraGrid capability registration in information services

Sergio Andreozzi sergio.andreozzi at cnaf.infn.it
Fri Mar 16 04:36:19 CST 2007

Hello JP,

JP Navarro wrote:
> During Q2 2007 the TeraGrid will deploy new information services that
> will publish which high-level capabilities are available on individual
> TeraGrid resources, as well as information about the software and
> services providing each capability. The new information services are
> part of our next generation Coordinated TeraGrid Software and Services
> "CTSS" version 4 project.
>
> The reason for this e-mail is to share aspects of our information
> service
> plans, like a generalized capability publishing entity that can
> encompass
> more than computing and storage elements, and to solicit your feedback.
>
> Would any of the material below provide valuable GLUE 2.0 use cases?

yes, sure. This is an important contribution for both defining the use
case documents and requirements for GLUE 2.0.

> Should
> it be posted in a TeraGrid document in the GLUE 2.0 Requirements area?

I would recommend that you start collecting the material in the wiki.
I've added a TeraGred page:

http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.glue-wg/wiki/GLUERequirements

We will later refine it into items in the Requirement tracker or
contribution to the use case document.

Cheers, Sergio

> [...]
>    GT 4 Pre-WS GRAM service
>    GT 4 WS GRAM service
>    GT 4 MDS service
>    GT 4 GridFTP service
>    gsiSSH service
>    SRB service
>
> Initially, we plan to publish the following service attributes:
>    SiteID                  Globally unique site ID offering the service
>    ResourceID              Globally unique resource ID/cluster
> hosting the service
>    UniqueID                Globally unique service ID
>    Name                    Human friendly service name
>    Type                    Service type
>    Version                 Version of service type
>    Endpoint                Service contact point
>

> Software registration
> =====================
> Examples of TeraGrid services:
>    Condor 6.9.1
>    mpich-gm 1.2.6e build with Intel 8.1
>    GT 4 MDS service
>
> Initially, we plan to publish the following software attributes:
>    SiteID                  Globally unique site ID offering the software
>    ResourceID              Globally unique resource ID/cluster
> hosting the software
>    UniqueID                Globally unique software ID
>    Name                    Software name
>    Version                 Version of software
>    HandleType              Method for accessing software from Unix shell
>    HandleKey               Argument/key for the method
>    Default                 Available in default login (and job)
> environment
>

> There is some obvious overlap between service and software
> attributes. Services
> are available to users thru an Endpoint, software is available to
> users thru some
> Unix level access method (handle type and key).  Services and
> software would be
> associated with one or more capability kits.
>
> Of these 3 types of information, service is the only one that
> currently exists
> in GLUE, I believe. We selected a subset of the GLUE 1.3 Service
> attributes that
> the TeraGrid has a use case for.
>
> We are also considering publishing Site information, and would choose
> a subset
> of GLUE Site attributes. If our users demanded additional compute
> element and
> storage element information, we would also adopt subsets of these
> entities
> from GLUE.
>
> Regards,
>
> JP Navarro
> ------
> John-Paul Navarro                                               (630)
> 252-1233
> navarro at mcs.anl.gov                            http://www.mcs.anl.gov/
> ~navarro
> TeraGrid Software Integration                Univ of Chicago/Argonne
> Nat. Lab.
> GPG: 4EA9 C86B C0F0 113D 6306  98B7 3649 D6CB EFA8 4133

Sergio Andreozzi
INFN-CNAF,                    Tel: +39 051 609 2860
Viale Berti Pichat, 6/2       Fax: +39 051 609 2746
40126 Bologna (Italy)         Web: http://www.cnaf.infn.it/~andreozzi