[glue-wg] Model Questions

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Dec 12 05:44:57 CST 2007

Hi everyone

I've been looking through the current draft and I've got a few
questions... :-)

1) Should the Policy class have Scheme and Rule attributes? They seem to
be common across a number of subclasses.

2) What's the relationship between Mapping Policy and Share Policy?

3) Should the Downtime class relate to a Service instead of an Endpoint?

4) Are Shares inherent features of all Services in the GLUE model, or
can a particular subclass of Service not use them? (Might they only be
features of Computing Services? Might they only be features of
particular important subclasses of Computing Services, i.e. those with
queues?)

5) Why is Share State separate from Share? Does it relate to Service state?

6) In the Information Model level, I'd be strongly tempted to just say
that integers are integers and not give the width of the integers.
(That's more appropriate for the data model.)

7) There are unit mistakes in Computing Share Policy. (I also strongly
recommend only using SI base units (plus bytes) for units.)

8) What is the relationship of the Execution and Application Environment
classes to the core GLUE model?

9) I've had systems in the past where the job acquired a Usage Record as
a property when it completed. That worked quite well.

10) You probably should talk to the OGSA-DMI-WG folks about the Storage
Endpoint class's attributes.

11) There needs to be a relationship between Compute and Storage sides
(essential questions are probably "where can I get the output of the Job
from?" "where do I ship my input data to in order to run on that
system?" and "where can I run my job so that I don't need to ship the
data about unnecessarily?"). That's a very important relationship! :-)

12) Do you plan to construct a dictionary of Application names? If not,
it's going to make finding Application Environment instances tricky in
practice. This will also need to tie in with JSDL, HPC Profile and ACS
groups. Maybe also OGSA Naming, though I believe they name something
else. If you do, it probably should be in a separate document. (I'd
suggest some sort of structured name so that you don't need to name
everything!) It's also a shame that CIM hasn't done anything in this
area that I can see...

Donal.