[GIR-WG] GIR @ OGF22 ; recharting at an RG

Greg Newby newby at arsc.edu
Thu Jan 10 15:39:46 CST 2008

Another OGF meeting is upcoming, and I've requested scheduling
for a group meeting for the Grid Information Retrieval working
group (GIR-WG).  The agenda:

1. IP statement; introductions
2. Review of activity since OGF21
3. Discussion of rechartering GIR as a research group (RG) rather than working group (WG)
4. Document status and progress
5. Implementation status and progress
6. Any other business

Please note #3: the chairs and our area directors have
been discussing recharting GIR-WG as GIR-RG.  As a research
group, we would continue focus on R&D for GIR, but without
the strong mandate to produce standards.  Because work for
standards has been slow -- largely due to the need to do
basic & applied research -- this seems like it might be a good
path for us.

Please share any opinions with me or the other chairs (Paul Kim
and Nassib Nassar), via email or at OGF22.  We do hope to see
you in Cambridge/Boston!
  -- Greg Newby (GIR-WG co-chair)

Dr. Gregory Newby, Chief Scientist of the Arctic Region Supercomputing Center
Univ of Alaska Fairbanks-909 Koyukuk Dr-PO Box 756020-Fairbanks-AK 99775-6020
e: newby AT arsc.edu v: 907-450-8663 f: 907-450-8603 w: www.arsc.edu/~newby