[gin] [Pgi-wg] Genesis II Security - Trust Anchor(s)

Etienne URBAH urbah at lal.in2p3.fr
Thu Oct 7 20:04:27 CDT 2010

Alan, Duane and Andrew,

Concerning Cloud / Grid Security,

Lot of thanks to Alan SILL for the link
http://indico.rnp.br/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=85 to the Symposium on
Authentication Technologies held at Texas Tech University on 04 October
2010.

I have read the presentations, and I hope to have understood most of them.

In particular, I have been most interested by the 2 following
presentations :

-  InCommon
http://indico.rnp.br/getFile.py/access?contribId=4&sessionId=2&resId=0&materialId=slides&confId=85

-  CILogon
http://indico.rnp.br/getFile.py/access?contribId=1&sessionId=2&resId=0&materialId=slides&confId=85

As far as I understand :

-  The trust anchors are :
    - InCommon for SSL and personal certificates
    - IGTF for X509 certificates

-  Shibboleth permits to convert the campus identity of an user into
standard SAML assertions,

-  InCommon permits to convert these SAML assertions into an InCommon
Silver-grade certificate, which is directly accepted across all InCommon
participants,

-  CILogon (probably as MICS) permits to convert an InCommon
Silver-grade certificate to an X.509 certificate, which will be accepted
by all Grid infrastructures trusting IGTF when CILogon will obtain
accreditation by TAGPMA.

Can Alan confirm ?

If fully implemented, the above security setup would immediately provide
realistic answers to the questions which I asked inside the mail below
to the Genesis II team of University of Virginia.

Can the Genesis II team confirm ?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Best regards.

Etienne URBAH         LAL, Univ Paris-Sud, IN2P3/CNRS
                       Bat 200   91898 ORSAY    France
Tel: +33 1 64 46 84 87      Skype: etienne.urbah
Mob: +33 6 22 30 53 27      mailto:urbah at lal.in2p3.fr