[gin] SC GIN demo

Andrew Grimshaw grimshaw at virginia.edu
Tue Nov 9 10:26:51 CST 2010

Dave, All,

Based the discussion in the GIN meeting I have started my students off
putting together an "eye-candy" demo for HPC File Staging Extensions
interop. Dave had suggested Radiance - and a movie of the Nile. I have a
student (Rui) working on that -but Dave he awaits you giving him the links.
If we can't get Radiance going, we already have another renderer, "blender",
operational in our local grid using the HPC FSE, that we can use in a pinch.

As to the back end compute infrastructure a different student (Karolina)
will create a Genesis II queue (meta-scheduler) that will load balance among
a set of resources and send JSDL jobs to the endpoints we include in the
demo (this will be the client that will talk to the endpoints). We have
Genesis II endpoints tested, and have tested the mechanism as well for
UNICORE 6.  Our goal is to add other endpoints that support FSE, in
particular the SCP transfer option that seems to be a least common
denominator.  We believe that the following BES implementations support
HPC-FSE: Genesis II, UNICORE 6, GridSAM, SMOA, and ARC.  Andre, Karolina may
contact you on tricks needed to get the security stuff right, since your
SAGA demo is an existence proof that it can be done.