[gin-info] Notes from July 10 telecon

Jennifer M. Schopf jms at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jul 11 08:10:41 CDT 2006

I thought one of the fundamental aspects of GIN was that no new software
was to be created and deployed?

  -j

At 07:23 11/07/2006, JP Navarro wrote:
>Laura,
>
>See below.
>
>On Jul 11, 2006, at 1:35 AM, Laura Pearlman wrote:
>
>>Attending:  Kazu, Yuji, and Laura.
>>
>>TeraGrid resources:  after the last meeting, I was going to talk to
>>Stu Martin about what Teragrid resources are available for GIN;
>>however, Stu is on vacation.  I'll see whether anyone on tomorrow's
>>wheels call knows the answer.
>
>Stu and I have been working together to perform GIN related
>activities on the UC/ANL TeraGrid cluster.  Let me know if
>you'd like to implement something while Stu is on vacation.
>
>>Schema mapping:  the spreadsheet that Kazu sent around looks pretty
>>clear, but there are some issues using it for TeraGrid.  TeraGrid
>>is using (slightly modified versions of) standard Globus
>>information providers, which report information in GLUE 1.1 schema,
>>not GLUE 1.2.  This means that a couple of the elements that appear
>>in the spreadsheet (AuthVO and Software) are not advertised through
>>TeraGrid's information systems.  We have, I think, two options for
>>dealing with this, depending on what our requirements are:
>>
>>1.  We could create extensions to the GLUE 1.1 schema to hold this
>>information (the structure of these extensions would be the same as
>>the corresponding elements in GLUE 1.2) and modify the TeraGrid
>>information providers to provide this information.
>
>The TeraGrid schema was extended to meet it's own requirement.
>Extending it further in support of our GIN activities is also
>good. As long as GIN extensions don't break the TeraGrid's
>schema we should implement them on the TeraGrid.  Also, it
>would be good to present the other extensions the TeraGrid is
>planning on to the GIN community to determine if it would make
>sense to add them to the GIN schema.
>
>JP
>
>>2.  We could create schema extensions as above, but provide this
>>information only for non-TeraGrid resources (that is, anyone
>>looking at any information system, including TeraGrid's, would see
>>AuthVO and Software information for NAREGI and EGEE resources but
>>not for TeraGrid resources).
>>
>>It would be good to nail down the requirements and choose between
>>these courses of action fairly soon.
>>
>>                -- Laura

Dr. Jennifer M. Schopf
Scientist                              eInfrastructure Policy Advisor
Distributed Systems Lab       National eScience Centre and JISC
Argonne National Laboratory  The University of Edinburgh
jms at mcs.anl.gov                 jms at nesc.ac.uk
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~jms http://homepages.nesc.ac.uk/~jms