Web pages vs. Schema Translations (was Re: [gin-info] Notes from July 10 telecon)

JP Navarro navarro at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Aug 23 10:03:28 CDT 2006

Delayed response, buy not forgotten!

On Jul 24, 2006, at 4:08 PM, Laura Pearlman wrote:

> I don't think the decision not to translate between schemas was
> ever (until Jen's recent mail) communicated to anyone who wasn't
> physically present at the Athens and Tokyo meetings. But more to
> the point, I think that's the wrong decision, so I'd like to open
> this for public discussion and present what I think are the two
> competing proposals, which I'll call the "web proposal" and the
> "translator proposal". Both proposals start by identifying a
> minimal set of information necessary for resource selection and end
> with displaying this information in a web page -- it's what happens
> in the middle that differs.
>
> 1. The web proposal to create a web page that will display
> information from various sources by using various APIs (or scripts
> or whatever) to query different information systems, then combine
> them and display them in some uniform fashion (probably in an HTML
> table).

The down side to this approach is that it creates a new information
schema
(HTML) different from the the sources and possibly with a different API.
Each consumer would have to develop interfaces to this schema in
addition
to their native schema they already support.

> 2. The translator proposal is to translate that minimal set of
> information between existing schemas, advertise at least that
> minimal set of information about all GIN resources in at least one
> information server of each type, and use one of the existing web-
> based interfaces to display it.

This is the most attractive approach in my view.  It doesn't add a
new HTML
schema, but publishes minimal information from each provider schema
in each
publishing schema. Consumers can use their existing APIs.

> Each has its own advantages and disadvantages, which I will try to
> summarize here:
>
> Schema development. I don't want to split hairs about the
> definition of a schema, but my feeling is that both plans to some
> extent involve defining a schema and mappings between the existing
> schemas and the new schema. The translator plan involves creating
> an intermediary schema that's used by the translating software (but
> that is not exposed to users) as part of the work plan. The web
> page plan involves creating a definition of an HTML table to
> display the collected information in a uniform manner and creating
> mappings of the existing schemas into that new schema.
>
> Schema flexibility. In the translator plan, users can view
> information about all GIN resources using whichever existing schema
> they prefer. In the web page plan, users who want to see
> information regarding all web pages must either use the web page
> schema (i.e., look at the web page) or do separate queries and
> combine data from all existing schemas.
>
> Software development. Creating an "information provider" for one of
> the web-based display systems is probably more or less equivalent
> to creating an information provider to translate from a foreign
> schema to a native one (at least, that's the case in MDS/WebMDS).
> However, the translator plan probably involves writing more of these.
>
> Software deployment. The web plan requires a single deployment at
> the site running the web server. The translator plan requires a
> deployment at each "edge" site.
>
> Query language support. The translator plan allows users to run
> queries using their native query languages that will return
> information about all GIN resources (e.g., "show me all queues that
> use PBS"). The web page plan either requires that users run queries
> in each of the existing query languages and then combine the output
> or possibly defines and implements some new query language. The
> latter option probably involves a fair amount of development work,
> especially if it supports sorting or aggregation operations.

I think your comparison is correct.

Translators makes the most sense in my view.

JP