[gin-info] Fwd: Re: [gin-jobs] Job Endpoint Verification Tests

Jennifer M. Schopf jms at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Aug 5 05:20:44 CDT 2006

this might also be of interest to the info services group - looks like what
might be needed is monitoring of these services?

  -j

>Cc: gin-jobs at ggf.org, gin at ggf.org, Thierry Delaitre <delaitt at cpc.wmin.ac.uk>
>From: Stuart Martin <smartin at mcs.anl.gov>
>Subject: Re: [gin-jobs] Job Endpoint Verification Tests
>Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 17:44:16 -0500
>To: Steven Newhouse <s.newhouse at omii.ac.uk>
>Sender: owner-gin-jobs at ggf.org
>
>Hi Steven,
>
>Thierry Delaitre (and team) has setup a portal that can provide the
>testing of GIN infrastructure that we are looking for.
>
>The GIN portal can be accessed on the following URL:
>     https://gin-portal.cpc.wmin.ac.uk:8080/gridsphere/gridsphere
>
>The next step is to add periodic testing/monitoring and interactive
>testing for individual GIN users to the GIN portal.
>The NGS portal has an example of the automated periodic testing GMT
>portlet that will be added to the GIN portal.
>It is accessible at the following URL: https://gngs-
>portal.cpc.wmin.ac.uk:8080/gridsphere/gridsphere and then clicking on
>the GT4/GEMLCA monitor portlet.
>
>Thanks Thierry for setting this up!
>
>This will show that:
>     1) interoperation is possible to all (or most all?) GIN
>resources via a portal.
>     2) The client API the portal uses to interact with each GIN
>resource island is interoperable.
>         e.g. using the GramJob java API from GT 4.0.2 can be used to
>submit jobs too X WS GRAM island resources
>
>-Stu
>
>On Aug 3, 2006, at Aug 3, 8:44 AM, Steven Newhouse wrote:
>
>>All,
>>
>>Within the 'GIN management' we have spent some time discussing how
>>we can verify the integrity of the emerging infrastructure. At the
>>moment we have several pools of resources:
>>* Pre-WS GRAM
>>* WS GRAM
>>* ARC
>>* JSDL
>>
>>We need some definition of 'compliance' that can be used by the
>>infrastructure verification (testers!) and application community to
>>say that a particular resource is working.
>>
>>I am aware of some old work in the UK in the Grid Integration Test
>>Scripts (GITS - http://www.soton.ac.uk/~djb1/gits.html) which may
>>be OK for pre-WS GRAM. INCA has verification tests but are designed
>>(I believe) to run much more as a background monitoring task than a
>>user driven compliance check. Likewise there are monitoring
>>infrastructures developed within EGEE bu the GOCs.
>>
>>We need something lightweight (manual?) that can be triggered by a
>>user to see if job submission into these resources works for them
>>from their current location. Either a script or a series of
>>documented tests.
>>
>>So...
>>1. Do you have a series of manual tests that could be contributed?
>>2. (Semi-) automated scripts that could be used to verify a
>>resource's operation?
>>
>>Or other approaches/solutions that could be used in this area...
>>now is the time to speak up!
>>
>>Steven
> [...]

Dr. Jennifer M. Schopf
Scientist                              eInfrastructure Policy Advisor
Distributed Systems Lab       National eScience Centre and JISC
Argonne National Laboratory  The University of Edinburgh
jms at mcs.anl.gov                 jms at nesc.ac.uk
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~jms http://homepages.nesc.ac.uk/~jms