[gin-data] RE: [gin] Re: [gin-info] Dane's question

Jensen, J (Jens) J.Jensen at rl.ac.uk
Fri Mar 10 05:58:22 CST 2006

Hi Erwin, & al,

Taking your example of SRM, I see SRM 1 as a subarea
of "SRM" which in turn is a subarea of gin-data.

I suggest we should collect for each area/subarea:

	(a) available services, as Dane suggests,
	(b) "standard" tests, for minimal interop (example below),
	    and
	(c) dependencies between areas (e.g. storage depending
	    on information publishers), or subareas,
	(d) the results of the testing (a) with (b).
	(e) perhaps people interested in the area/subarea.

Returning to the SRM (version 1.1) example for now (and keeping
it brief-ish), (a) will list a set of "volunteer", non production,
servers.  (b) will list necessary tests, including:

1. Testing the gridftp server with globus-url-copy;
2. Testing the srm with dCache srmcp (which doesn't
   depend on information system), upload/download,
3. 3rd party copy between SRM1s with srmcp,
4. LCG tools like GFAL or lcg-* which *do* depend
   on the information system.

These tests are necessary but not (necessarily) sufficient: other
major Grids who are using SRM 1 may contribute other "minimal"
tests.  I can think of more advanced tests of SRM1, too.

(c) will highlight that some tests may depend on gin-info tests.

(d) is for keeping track of which version was tested with
what; which version of client tools and peer servers.

(e) above may be useful because sometimes it's useful to
ask other people to test your latest SRM1 from their own
Grid.  So say LCG develops a new SRM1 and we ask someone
from OSG to test it.

Grids not using SRM 1 will not be interested in the SRM1
subarea, until we aim for higher hanging fruit and other
islands, etc.  By then, the information gathered by the
(e) people will become useful.

Most grids using specific services will already have basic
tests for their services that they can contribute.

Back to the specifics, we have had good experiences with wikis
- I don't know pragma - any solution that lets (authenticated)
users relatively easily update web pages will be useful.

My £0.02.

Cheers,
				--jens