[gin-data] Update Ftp transfers

Raj Kettimuthu kettimut at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Aug 29 18:16:46 CDT 2006

> What makes You think lseek() failures are ifnored by ALL gridftp servers on market?
> Anyway I wouldn't call application ignoring lseek() failures a properly behaving one.
> IMO of course.

OK. My point was that we need to make the interop testing of GridFTP
server running at various GIN resources easier. I suggested that the
resources either need to allow people to write to /dev/null or publish a
path that GIN users have access to. I agree that writing to /dev/null
may not work on some GridFTP implementations. When I mentioned about
ignoring lseek() failures, I have been refering to the Globus
implementation of the GridFTP server. I did not assume that other
implementations would have done the same thing.

As far as ignoring the lseek() failures, the only error that we ignore is
ESPIPE. We make sure that other errors can not occur on lseek(). I do not
want to go more into the implementation details.

Raj