[gin-data] Update Ftp transfers

Raj Kettimuthu kettimut at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Aug 29 15:27:38 CDT 2006

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006, Aleksandr Konstantinov wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 17:07:35 -0500 (CDT)
> Raj Kettimuthu <kettimut at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 29 Aug 2006, Aleksandr Konstantinov wrote:

> > > Success (exit code 0) in most cases means failure for lseek() function, it
> > > is supoosed to return location in file.
> > >

> > Right, but this does not really matter as we do /dev/zero to /dev/null
> > transfers to imitate memory-memory transfers and to make sure there is no
> > problem up till that point.
>
> What happens if multi-stream transfer is taking place and destination server
> does lseek() on destination file /dev/null in order to store chunk of data at
> proper position?

lseek() failure is ignored. lseek() would fail with pipes and non-files,
in which case we don't really care (atleast the file DSI or data storage
interface does not care). As I mentioned earlier, we do '/dev/zero to
/dev/null' transfers to imitate mem-mem transfers and if we use multiple
streams for such transfers, write happens even if the seek fails and thus
the transfer succeeds.