[gin-auth] Debugging Globus SSL (Was: Re: start Savannah run)

Mike 'Mike' Jones mike.jones at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Feb 6 08:47:03 CST 2007

Hi JP,

The approach we took in the UK NGS was to head down the pool accounts
method (a patched gatekeeper and gridFTP server e.g. from the VDT). NGS
has had VOMS Authz on the road-map for some time and either pool accounts
or just-in-time account creation are the only ways in which VOMS makes
sense in our current operating environment. (btw, I do not believe there
is an off-the-shelf production JIT account creation system available at
the moment).

With the pool account approach there are two options either to lease
and recycle accounts or to create a set of accounts that number more than
the VO can use.  Recycling is hard to do securely: processes and files
e.g. crontab, ~/.ssh/authorized_keys and all other persistent and
temporary personal files all need to be removed across all a resources batch
systems before a lease can be relinquished.

NGS chose to go the route of the pool account patch some time ago, so
the infrastructure has been available throughout the GIN project.  For
other members of GIN this will not be so easy: the security implications
of pool accounts have only really been explored within the Grid community.
Experience suggests that existing service providers don't like the grid
security models. That is, amongst others, the hosting of unfamiliar
services, the breaching firewalls and the adoption of abstract
authorisation methods and trust models. These all frighten the willies out
of our production system managers.

That said the UK NGS uses the pool account methods and assign accounts to
incoming authorised gin members.  There are, I believe, 50 static accounts
on each core resource.  These are not recycled; they are assigned once.
When they run out NGS will have to make a decision to create more, or
further explore the recycling possibilities, This seems to be
a semi-technical -- semi-political decision.

I can't really say what resources like the TG should do to address authZ
(authS!) other than to relay our experiences. But, as a "grid savvy" user
I would be very worried about who has access to my files and delegated
credentials before using a resources which is on one of our grids.

We must literally avoid leading our potential users into a false sense of
security.

I'd like to hear what other resource providers of the GIN team are doing
for authZ. Maybe the way forward is to summarise/these authZ experiences,
and derive the various weaknesses and lacking functionalities.  Are
resources polling the VOMS servers? Are accounts mapped on the fly? Do
sites understand VOMS ACs? What versions of gatekeepers are we using
(patched unpatched branched)? Can we compare and contrast systems like
LCAS/LCMAPS and GUMS/PRIMA? etc. etc.

Cheers,
Mike