[gin-auth] Multiple VO membership (Some ramblings and 1 question).

Olle Mulmo mulmo at pdc.kth.se
Thu May 4 03:06:28 CDT 2006

On May 3, 2006, at 15:41, Diego R. Lopez wrote:

> Would not be this one of the cases for using dynamic attribute-based
> AAIs a-la-Shibboleth? The GridShib effort has been around for quite a
> while and I think could help in dealing with this kind of problems
> in a
> neat and secure way.

Diego,

What this effort currently battles is to find ways how to shoe-horn
solutions into software that is 5+ years old. What you talk about is
the next-generation software, explicitly designed for the use cases
and deployment scenarios that we have today. We are definitely
heading in that direction, but currently there's usually about two
years of integration, testing and packaging efforts before any "new"
technology finds its way out onto the large production grids.

(Let me point out that I am probably the most frustrated person in
the crowd over this slow uptake!)

VOMS, which has been previously mentioned, has had 3 years in the
making at this point. As you can see from the discussions on this
list, even that is a bit of a stumbling block.

/Olle