[gin-auth] The new VOMS Server for GIN is active from now

Oscar Koeroo okoeroo at nikhef.nl
Fri Mar 10 21:41:12 CST 2006

Hi,

I haven't read the attached file yet, and I will still need to comment
on your email conversation with Vincenzo, because the keys issues is
wrongly explained or confused me even!
If you don't understand the following, thant that is due to the local
time here and my state of mind :-)

In the /etc/grid-security/vomsdir/ directory there needs to be placed
all host certificate files of the trusted VOMS Servers.
The voms-api and other tools who are Attribute Certificate cognisive can
extract the FQANs but also verify them. The verification can be done
because these ACs are signed by the private key of a VOMS server that
gave them out. On the extraction side (the policy desicion point (PDP))
in some middleware at a site the public key needs to be present. Letting
this be present on the system means to have trust in that host being a
trusted VOMS Server.

The ACs can be verified with the public key (present in the certificate
file) and can then be trusted on their value (without needing to check
it with other data). The VOMS server is in full control of the
group/role info that they have been administrating for their community
(meaning: no need for a copy of the VOMS database on each site).

To make it even better (actually it is what you should do from the
start) is put each host certificate in a directory like:
/etc/grid-security/vomsdir/GIN-GGF-ORG/

The voms-api should check this directory first and then fall back to the
main vomsdir directory. Otherwise all VOMS Server could be signing all
kinds of trusted FQANs.
If you would have used the /etc/grid-security/vomsdir/ to put my
GIN-GGF-ORG file then, I could create and 'atlas', 'cms' or wharever VO
and sign my proxies with these VOs. It wold be verified correctly,
because the signature of the ACs check out correctly. With this approach
the scope of the verification of the found ACs is narrowed to the files
present in that directory (which is equal to the VO name).

    Oscar