[gin-auth] Heads-up for RFC proxies and VOMS ACs

Mike 'Mike' Jones mike.jones at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Jun 8 10:30:09 CDT 2006

Hi Vincenzo,

Ah yes, my mistake, you're right, I only found out about the --newformat
option after convincing myself that the glite 1.5 VOMS server didn't do
the right thing (it could do the right thing but this was not the
default).

This still presents issues for using RFC proxies (where the new format is
required) until services at large have had their VOMS AC engines
upgraded.  But I guess this won't be too far behind their general
acceptance of RFC proxies (if it is at all behind).

The gin.ggf.org VOMS daemon is currently using the default old style voms
server running configuration.  If GIN is enforcing the use of RFC proxies
the daemon needs to be run in the newer mode and we have to hope that
sites supporting VOMS understand the right format (i.e. if they are gLite
based then gLite version >= 1.5).

Also it seems that the current GIN VO Server doesn't like the new style
proxies for authentication anyhow (is this just due to the version of the
underlying globus libraries):

   voms-proxy-init -voms gin -proxyver 3

   Your identity: /C=UK/O=eScience/OU=Manchester/L=MC/CN=michael jones
   Enter GRID pass phrase:
   Your proxy is valid until Fri Jun  9 04:15:05 2006

   Creating temporary proxy
   ...................................................... Done
   Contacting  kuiken.nikhef.nl:15050
   [/O=dutchgrid/O=hosts/OU=nikhef.nl/CN=kuiken.nikhef.nl] "gin.ggf.org"
   Error: Could not establish authenticated connection with the server.
   GSS Major Status: Authentication Failed
   GSS Minor Status Error Chain:
   globus_gss_assist: Error during context initialization
   globus_gsi_gssapi: Unable to verify remote side's credentials
   globus_gsi_gssapi: Unable to verify remote side's credentials: Couldn't
   verify the remote certificate
   OpenSSL Error: s3_pkt.c:1052: in library: SSL routines, function
   SSL3_READ_BYTES: sslv3 alert bad certificate SSL alert number 42

whereas:

   voms-proxy-init -voms gin -proxyver 2

   Your identity: /C=UK/O=eScience/OU=Manchester/L=MC/CN=michael jones
   Enter GRID pass phrase:
   Your proxy is valid until Fri Jun  9 04:21:13 2006

   Creating temporary proxy ........................................ Done
   Contacting  kuiken.nikhef.nl:15050
   [/O=dutchgrid/O=hosts/OU=nikhef.nl/CN=kuiken.nikhef.nl] "gin.ggf.org"
    Done
   Your proxy is valid until Fri Jun  9 04:21:15 2006

Thanks,
Mike