[gin-auth] GIN VO Usage Rules.

Stephen M Pickles Stephen.Pickles at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Aug 17 13:21:41 CDT 2006

Oscar, David, Dave, and friends,

One good thing about GIN is that it tests our assumptions
about what VOs and Grids actually are.

Skip forward to ****, unless you want to read my views on this.

I have some strong views on these matters, and they might well
differ from yours. When Foster et al. gave us the term Virtual
Organisation in their seminal paper, they did not give us a
concrete definition. (BTW, did you know that the term had been
introduced by social scientists some months beforehand,
unbeknownst to Foster and Kesselman?) When I look at real-world
examples of VOs (in the Grid sense), I see things like the
LHC experiments, other EGEE VOs, various e-Science projects
(RealityGrid is an example of a VO that tries to leverage existing
grids rather than build its own, and NEESGrid is an example of
one that builds much of its own infrastructure). These VOs
* build on established social networks
* have long term goals and strategy
* have significant funding, governance & policy of their own
* need to share data, applications, instruments,...
* sometimes collectively control or operate resources and services
  of their own
* often have access rights to resources they do not control
  e.g. national HPC services, public data sets
* may or may not have the capacity to construct their own grids
(So the ones that we know about tend not to be lightweight entities
- and I think that's a problem.)

When I look at real world examples of production Grids (EGEE, TeraGrid,
APAC Grid, DEISA, NAREGI, ...), I see:
* long term goals and strategy, aimed at providing production
  quality services
* significant funding, governance & policy (policy is strongly
  constrained by the interests of the funding bodies)
* missions aimed at enabling users and user communities to share
  data, applications, etc, and to enjoy the common infrastructure
  that the grid provides.
* Grid-wide policy and practice being used to patch over gaps
  in middleware and standards.

It seems to me that in practice there is usually a consumer-provider
relationship between VOs and (production) Grids. I believe that
it is necessary to make these relationships explicit.
Tools like VOMS are tremendously important to production grids
because they facilitate establishment of consumer-provider
relationships between user communities and grids - they are essential
for scalability. VOMS enables the community to assert its membership
to the grids that support it.

I don't believe it is useful to think of the Grid as being
a member of all the VOs it supports. In fact, I think this is
extremely dangerous, as it can lead to the illusion that a VO
can prescribe policy for all the resources that it uses.
Some might find this controversial.

I think it can occasionally be useful to think of a Grid as
itself being a VO, especially when doing things like establishing
bipartite consumer-provider relationships between two grids
(for example, GridPP and NGS might each have a VOMS server
asserting membership of the GridPP and NGS VOs, in order to allow
the other grid's users access to this grid's resources).

I think it can occasionally be useful to think of a VO as being
a Grid, in the sense that it is desirable for the members (users)
in a VO to have a unified view of the set of resources that they
use, and we might be tempted to call that set of resources a Grid.
I think it is OK to do so, as long as we don't pretend that that
Grid has all the properties we expect of a production Grid
(governance, policy, helpdesk, trust and co-ordination
between the resource providers, ...).

Finally, I think that as grid computing evolves, it will be
essential for for VOs to become first class entities. There are few
tools (VOMS is one) and less standards that explicitly deal
with VOs, their formation, management and destruction. I also
think that VOs must have (more or less) global scope. In GIN,
we've already seen name collisions between VOs arise,
and have been convinced that a global DNS-like name space
is needed. Already, we know that there are VOs which use
resources from multiple Grids, and the GIN partner Grids
have begun to grapple with ideas like "external VOs" and
what it means to recognise, trust and support them.

I've not written this up formally, but I did give a presentation
at the Cetraro HPC/Grid workshop last month. You can find it at:
  http://www.hpcc.unical.it/hpc2006/prsnts/pickles.ppt

****

Back to the matter in hand.

I think there is a GIN VO. This is the set of people, generally
from the GIN partner Grids, who are advancing the goals of GIN-CG,
which I do not need to recapitulate here. These people, the members
of the GIN VO as asserted by the GIN VOMS server (thanks Oscar),
need access to resources managed by GIN partners. The partners
in general use this membership information to streamline their
authorisation procedures.

I think that there is not a "GIN Grid", in the sense that there
is, and can be, no overall management of the collective resources.
However, there could in theory be a GIN view of the collective
resources that a GIN user sees.

I therefore think that it is possible to have an AUP for the GIN VO,
and indeed that we need one.

I do not believe that it is possible for there to be an AUP for the
GIN Grid, because there is (I argue) no such thing as a GIN Grid,
and there is certainly no governance body that could agree one.

I know that many Grids have put a lot of work into what are essentially
Grid AUPs. We've done it for the NGS (see http://www.ngs.ac.uk/NGS-tacu.shtml).
APAC have done it (see David Bannon's posting). EGEE have done it
(see Dave Kelsey's posting). Undoubtedly many others have done it
too. Of these, EGEE's is the one that has had to deal with the
widest range of stakeholder requirements, spanning as it does
many nations, languages, legal systems etc. As Dave Kelsey made
clear (point 2 of his posting), there is no hope of assembling
a complete and consistent superset of the clauses that every
constituent resource provider thinks they require their users
to observe, so sights have to be lowered. That EGEE has achieved
some kind of consensus on a Grid AUP is remarkable. That OSG
might be prepared to adopt it is equally remarkable.

I just don't think that a Grid AUP will work for GIN.
(If there was one, it might make life easier. But striving for
one is way beyond the scope of the GIN charter as I understand it.)

Hence I propose to have only a VO AUP for GIN.
Such a thing will serve to remind GIN users of a few basics
of social behaviour. It will not, cannot, and must not be
construed to, give GIN members a license to ignore any
specific terms and conditions of the underlying Grids.
A GIN member that uses APAC is a user of APAC.
A GIN member that uses NGS is a user of NGS.
A GIN member that uses EGEE is a user of EGEE.

Have I explained myself?

Do we have consensus that my proposal is a sensible
way to proceed?

We can always quibble about the actual wording later.

Stephen