[gin-auth] Multiple VO membership (Some ramblings and 1 question).

Mike 'Mike' Jones mike.jones at manchester.ac.uk
Wed May 3 09:11:07 CDT 2006

Comments on using LCAS and LCMAPS from a production grid (UK NGS is
my nearest) point of view.

They both look quite usable, but NGS uses VDT middleware, Globus
Toolkit 2.4.3 or Globus Toolkit 4 Pre Web services.  Patching LCAS and
LCMAPS into the gatekeepers running on these resources is a bit
heavyweight. NGS is looking at moving towards it but it's
still very much in the planning and testing mode.

For the time being I agree with David, we're stuck with grid-mapfiles
and just have to be very careful.  For the future, perhaps VDT might patch
the GT gatekeeper and support it like they already do with the EDG pool
account patch (this would be a really helpful step IMHO).

For GIN Authz to work well it's got to be based upon Authz that resources
are willing to install.  I believe that LCAS and LCMAPS aren't as yet
integrated into the common middleware stacks well enough for most
production resource providers to switch away from mapfiles.

I think the same is true for Shib integration into out current Authz.
mechanics, assuming middleware of the calibre of GT2, VOMS callouts and
Shib Callouts aren't going to work without rolling our sleeves up and
getting out hands dirty!  I think this is perhaps not a production grid
attitude.

Don't get me wrong though, I like rolling my sleeves up and tinkering
(Gosh, I hope that idiom translates properly :-S ).  It's just that for an
inter-operation effort, the more cool stuff we put in there the more sites
like the UK NGS will have trouble following suit quickly enough.

Mike

--
http://www.sve.man.ac.uk/General/Staff/jonesM/