[gin-auth] Re: Create a VO for MultiGrid team ?

Dane Skow skow at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Mar 2 16:40:16 CST 2006

(I'm going to duck out for a long weekend holiday in just a minute so
let me make a comment then sign off until Monday.)

Until we get a first GIN VOMS service, we're stuck with dealing with
individual DNs for each grid pairing.
I agree with you, that is very undesirable even in the short term.
I think you're advocating to choose an arbitrary name which is
unlikely to conflict (to avoid contributing to the problem) rather
than try to quickly drive to consensus on a namespace schema. I'm
fine with that if we recognize that for what it is. I just don't want
to stall on the namespace issue (while agreeing it needs to be dealt
with in the not too distant future).

I think we should take opportunities to make steps forward as we
integrate, but we shouldn't hold up critical path items for non
critical path concerns (don't let the "better" become the enemy of
the "good enough"). I'm happy with whatever name is agreed (and I'm
happy to let Oscar choose, myself), but let's recognize this VO as
bootstrapping and that we'll likely have to revise as we move forward
and move on. For example, we could debate whether we want a "big
endian" (like OID) or a "little endian" (like DNS) namespace. All
needs to be settled, but isn't defined today. If we can reach
consensus quickly - fine - but the debate on the EGEE lists has
lasted quite a while now just there.

I think a better way to frame the same question is:  What VOs do
people have in the GIN grids now and how will we deal with namespaces
as we pull THOSE VOs in as cross-grid authorities ?  (There's another
inventory that it would be good for someone to push -- by the way,
haven't seen anything more back on the CA inventory
contributions ;-))  Buys us a few weeks at least to discuss (and we
can reform the GIN* VO as needed to deal with the resulting
convention) while we continue to make progress in the here and now.

Cheers,
Dane