[ghpn-wg] About goal of the GHPN-RG

Franco Travostino travos at nortel.com
Mon Aug 7 20:47:02 CDT 2006

In my view, the topics that this group has charted have pollinated in
different (albeit very related) contexts. For instance:
    * the Global Lambda Integrated Facility (GLIF,
http://www.glif.is/) has a working group devoted to control plane
evolutions towards Grid requirements;
    * ETSI has a new working group
(http://www.etsi.org/pressroom/Previous/2006/2006_07_grid.htm) which
focuses on the use of telecommunications infrastructures for Grids
and e-Utilities;
    * the ITU-T has taken an interest in the convergence of NGN and
Grids. In October 23-24, there will be a 2-day workshop jointly
organized by ITU and OGF,
http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/worksem/grid/programme.html, with great
participation by researchers, telco operators, and network vendors;
    * the "Phosphorous" multi-year effort (funded in part by EU)
takes on the interoperability of multi-domain agile optical networks;
not to mention the various tenders, RFPs, and such wherein Grid
requirements are increasingly popular.

This is mighty good news. Although it may feel as the house is empty,
we have a great opportunity to liaise with these external activities
and converge on a high-quality, broadly accepted set of standards
(noting that the OGF has an established document process with which
to produce standards).  For instance, our chair Dimitra is busy
organizing a live joint session of the GHPN in DC and the GLIF in
Tokyo. Logistics permitting, we want it to be the kick-off of closer
cooperation between the teams.

Lastly, the GHPN as much as the whole OGF are a volunteer army. If
you have a topic in mind, you should not hesitate to advance it on
the mailing list or via a draft (btw, the agenda in DC is still open).

-franco