[ghpn-wg] netissues and multicast

Franco Travostino travos at nortelnetworks.com
Mon Nov 29 09:37:40 CST 2004

With GFDs, the GGF archives immutable documents (same as RFCs in the IETF).
The GGF process further notes that:

A Grid Forum document may be designated as obsolete when it is superseded
by another
document. The obsolete designation clearly indicates that the document no
longer reflects
current thinking, but still recognizes the document's contributions by
allowing it to be referenced
and consulted. A stronger designation of historical is used, primarily for
technical specifications
or specific recommendations, to indicate that the specification should no
longer be used. In order
to change a GFD status to historical, a GFD-I is necessary to explain the
reasoning.

No doubt, the community is progressing in the understanding of network
requirements posed by the Grid, while networking research continues to
offer new capabilities ... therefore, it is well worth to a) track all
updates to the netissues-4 draft and b) batch them into a substantial new
release, which will obsolete GFD.37 and will appear 1 year or 18 months
from now. As well, it is possible to create a companion document capturing
a deeper dive into one of the subject areas (e.g., multicast for the Grid).

-franco