[GFS-WG] OGF29 GFS-WG session

Osamu Tatebe tatebe at cs.tsukuba.ac.jp
Sun Jun 20 10:14:44 CDT 2010

Hi all,

We will have a GFS-WG session from 3:15pm to 4:45pm at State II
on Monday, June 21 (tomorrow).

The public comment period of RNS 1.1 spec and OGFA WSRF BP
Rendering 1.0 is over.  For the RNS 1.1 spec, we need to discuss
about the following comment at the session.

> Posted by: tatebe 2010-05-21 10:36:12
> rename semantics
> We need to clarify the case such that the target entry exists when
> renaming the entry name. In the POSIX, it will be atomically
> replaced. If we follow the POSIX semantics, there is an undeterministic
> condition when renaming multiple entries in a bulk operation. For
> example, when there are two rename requests to the same target name,
> both requests will succeed but the result is different depending on
> which one is applied first.
>
> I guess there are two possible solutions:
>
> 1. Do not follow the POSIX semantics. If the target entry exists,
> rename fails with RNS Entry Exists Failure.
>
> 2. Fix the order of operations in bulk operations. If we assume
> operations are processed in the sequence order provided by the
> input argument.

If you have any agenda to discuss or to present, please
let us know.

Thanks,
Osamu

--