[GFS-WG] GFS session at OGF23

FROHNER Akos Akos.Frohner at cern.ch
Tue Jun 3 07:13:35 CDT 2008

Hi,

Although I will not able to participate in tomorrow's discussion
I have a few comments, as one related the EGEE file catalog, LFC:

On Fri, 2008-05-02 09:45:49 +0900, Osamu Tatebe wrote:
[...]
> So far, we discussed the following metadata in the context of
> GFS Naming Profile;

> Checksum
> ChecksumType

Do you have a list of proposed algorithms?

It would be very useful to compare it to the one supported
by the storage, which a catalog would point to.

> ChildCount	# of subentries

Do you consider federation, when part of the catalog would
be located in another service?

> Discription
> Complete	identifies whether or not the file or filesystem source
> 		targetted by thie entry is complete
> MutableSource	identifies whether or not the file or filesystem source
> 		targetted by this entry can change

How would you interpret 'Complete', if you allow changes?
Or is there some versioning and a 'Complete' mark on an
entry would mark a given version 'complete, i.e. not changing any more'?

> ReadOnly	identifies whether or not a local copy of the data
> 		should be locally read-only
> ReplicaCopy	identifies whether or not the file or filesystem source
> 		targetted by this entry is a replica copy

Does it try to describe the meaning of 'master' and 'secondary'
copies, when the secondary or 'ReplicaCopy' instances could be
deleted without removing the last instance?

[...]
> If you require some other metadata and operations that should be
> included in the profile, please talk about them at the GFS-WG
> session.

I think what I miss the most is describing authorization for RNS,
especially if you are thinking about supporting life sciences,
which use to have hard requirements in this area.

And at this point I would not even go into the detail of which
kind of authentication should be used for securing the access,
however I would really like to have a discussion started on:
  - if there is an owner of an entry
  - if others can be allowed to do operations (add, remove, list)
    on an entry
  - how can one display or change these settings

Cheers,
   Ákos
--
FROHNER Ákos/DM/IT/CERN -- Data Management/JRA1/EGEE