[gfs-wg] Minutes of GGF17 GFS-WG session and request for comments

Osamu Tatebe tatebe at cs.tsukuba.ac.jp
Fri Jun 2 02:58:02 CDT 2006

Hi all,

I apologize for the delay of sending out the meeting minutes of GGF17
GFS-WG session.  Manuel already uploaded the revised version of the
RNS spec on GridForge, which reflected the meeting discussion.  If you
have any question or comment, please email to the mailing list.

Moreover, the RNS spec intends to apply to not only Grid file system
but also any other area that requires hierarchical management such as
Life Science Data, Astronomical Data, High Energy Physics Data by
specifying standard application-level metadata that is attached to
RNS.  People in these areas are also quite welcome to give comments
and questions.

Thanks,
Osamu

---
GFS-WG Session

Thursday, May 11, 2006
5:45pm to 7:15pm

18 + 2 participants
Note taker: Osamu Tatebe (Univ. of Tsukuba)

Agenda
======
Introduction (10min)
Resource Namespace Service Document Discussion (50min)
 - Factored out federation issue, iterator, and logical name resolver
GFS Architecture, Future, External Alliances (20min)
General Questions or suggestions for the GFS-WG (10min)

Meeting
=======

* Resource Namespace Service Document Discussion

https://forge.gridforum.org/projects/gfs-wg/document/Resource_Namespace_Service_Refactored/en/4

RNS document status
April OGSA F2F meeting
- agreement was made to refactor specification document

items factored out
- iterator context
- service referrals
- RNS resolver port type
- profile extension operations
- explicit resource properties
- deprecated faults
- logical references

revisions
- binding and operation orientation
- considerations

operations
- add ( string: entry_name, EPR: entry_reference )
- list ( string: entry_name_regexp )
- move ( EPR: parent, string: entry_name )
- query ()
- remove (string: entry_name_regexp )

Comment
Malcolm: {any}* should not be the last item in /rns:add
         ambiguous, and may fail to parse
         -> modify the spec

General participants: good job

* GFS Status, Architecture, External Alliances, Future

https://forge.gridforum.org/projects/gfs-wg/document/GGF_17_Status_And_Outlook.ppt/en/1

- Current status of GFS-WG (GGF-17)

 o Working on updating the existing GFD on GFS Architecture
 o Approved now as a GFD-61 (http://www.ggf.org/documents/GFD.61.pdf)
 o Re-factored version of RNS document - public discussion
 o GFSG and community to decide whether incremental progress can be
   made on this initial draft or wait for community consensus.
 o External Alliances
  - SNIA - Currently a group here in GGF. Look forward to working
    with our SNIA friends.
  - IETF NFSv4 : We had initial discussions. But, no follow up was
    made by our GFS as we still need to know more (and less resources
    to spread out).

- Anticipated Outcome by GGF-18
 o OGSA-GFS usecase for OGSA-data
 o Work towards GGF GFS Architecture workbook version 2
  - Incorporating more generic information about a over all
    consolidated interface for GFS
 o Finalized RNS Spec
 o Work with our Storage friends in GGF and SNIA

- What the Architecture would look like
 o Grid Resource Providers (service interface?)
 o GFS Administrative Domain
 o GFS client software interface
 o GFS Server-Server interface (is it needed)
 o Architecture design questions
  - Logical resource namespace
  - Existing standards support
  - Single consolidated interface
  - Block level protocols (logical blocks)
  - Bulk operations

- Future
 o Standards and functionalities based on production users and what
   works now.
 o Promote products and vendor involvement
 o Self Assessment:
  - Need to restart bi-weekly telecons
  - Need more people ~ every one is volunteer now (no dedicated
    engineers or technical people from any institution)
  - Shouldn't we refocus on the charter based on current needs?