[gfs-wg] Re: Proposed Final Draft for RNS v1.0

Osamu Tatebe o.tatebe at aist.go.jp
Wed May 25 09:29:58 CDT 2005

Hi,

Here are more questions and comments for the document.

o 1.1.2.4 Alias Junction

It is better to mention the case when an entry referenced by an alias
junction is also an alias junction.  In this case, RNS can modify the
target path, or a client needs to traverse multiple aliases.

Moreover, when we allow an alias junction to a virtual directory,
there may be a loop in directory tree.  Since an alias junction only
points to an entry within the same service, we can check this in
create operation.

o 1.3.4 Context Operation

openContext requires IteratorContextID to create a context.  Why
should this IteratorContextID be specified?  How to ensure the
uniqueness of the ID not to conflict among clients?  EPR returned by
openContext cannot be used for this purpose?

o 1.5.1.1 Referral Messages

This functionality would be applied to Endpoint Reference Junction and
Virtualized Reference Junction when a path traverses a junction entry.
I believe it would be nice to extend this feature to them.

o '.' and '..'

This document does not mention about '.' and '..'.  These entries are
(automatically) included in Response of list operation?  Can we
include '.' and/or '..' in Path?

o Path and Name

As Ted also pointed out, I think Name is redundant and not necessary.
Is it better to omit Name in Input?

Regarding the teleconference, unfortunately I will be in Seattle in
that week.  Since it will be a very short stay, I am not sure I can
make it in this week.  Moreover, the deadline to submit a document is
May 27...

Thanks,
Osamu