[gf-chairs] Technical Expert funding opportunity

Julie Wulf-Knoerzer wulf at ogf.org
Fri May 23 08:52:41 CDT 2008

[I am forwarding the message below on behalf of OGF-Europe]

+++++++

Dear OGF Chair,

Over the past years, OGF has maintained a student scholar programme where
students from around the world could apply for and receive funding to attend
OGF events. The OGF-EUROPE project (http://www.ogfeurope.eu/) has introduced
an analogous opportunity to allow European technical experts to benefit from
this programme as well. The OGF-EUROPE technical expert programme provides a
more longer-term support of attending OGF events and working with the
community, with financial support for travels of up to 5 experts for up to
two OGF-EUROPE events.

People who are awarded within this programme should represent selected
experts from the community, which are able to push the standards agenda
further. We envision at least two profiles of experts. First group has
knowledge and experience to contribute to standards development while the
second is able to promote adoption of selected OGF specifications. To this
end, they should obviously come from relevant areas for OGF. Experts who
have not been strongly involved in OGF so far are particularly appreciated.

Potential tasks and added value introduced by experts might include
providing use cases and requirements, sharing best practices and knowledge,
presenting experiences from perspective of software developer and user to
standardization groups. Another possible role of experts could be to promote
adoption of selected OGF standards through support of implementation,
promoting OGF specifications with company's products etc.

Alternatively OGF-Europe may fund work in-between OGFs. Expected outcomes
might include documents helping to disseminate and adopt OGF specifications
such as white papers, guides, and tutorials with examples. Another option
would be funding participation in additional F2F meetings.

We are addressing this email to you since you posses, as an OGF group chair,
the most complete knowledge about your group's needs and opportunities.
Therefore, what we expect from you is to send us any suggestions concerning
candidates for experts along with tasks they could perform and any extra
work that you find useful for a group and that could be funded by
OGF-Europe.

We will be very grateful for any suggestions. We hope you will actively
contribute to this activity since it may significantly support your group
efforts and adoption of specifications.

Please address all suggestions, comments and questions to Ariel Oleksiak
ariel at man.poznan.pl.

Best regards,

OGF-Europe team