[gce-rg] GGF GCE-RG Reactivating

Mary Thomas mthomas at rohan.sdsu.edu
Mon Mar 21 10:49:32 CST 2005

<<<<<<<<<<<  Global Grid Forum Grid Computing Environments Research
Group >>>>>>>>
       (Please forward this on to anyone whom you think will be
interested in our activities)
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Dear Portal Community, GCE-RG Members,  future members:

The GCE-RG is waking up from a long and comfortable snooze. Recall that
when last we met, we had a workshop in Japan, where we determined that
Web Services and Portals bases on Portlet technologies were very
exciting directions to investigate. Since then, the GCE-RG has taken a
hiatus and many of you have been off doing some very interesting and
productive work.

As a result, we think that there are several very good reasons for the
GCE-RG to become active again:  there have been  many advances in grid
and web services; shell and portal technologies and supporting
frameworks have new standards; and a growing number of user communities
are now hosting GCE's. Clearly, now is  a very good time to bring our
developer and user communitites together, exchange ideas, and
investigate new directions.

Our esteemed GGF Area Directors (Craig Lee and Satoshi Matsuoka) have
obtained official approval from the GGF for the GCE-RG to become
reactivated. We will begin by reviewing and renewing our charter. We
will meet at the next GGF meeting (Summer, Chicago).

We would like to propose the following activities at the next GGF (this
Summer). Note, this is only a preliminary agenda and we would like to
hear about other ideas and activities you would like to see happen
within the GCE-RG. We are especially interested in activities that will
lead to spin-off Working Groups so that we can better support the
mission of the GGF in setting standards.

Proposed Agenda:
   - solicit input/interest from attendees, and emails beforehand if
possible
   - discuss new directions for GGF (portal frameworks, shells, other)
   - if there is community consensus, begin update of charter and web site
        -- seeking volunteers to spearhead this effort
   - new activities:
       - Portlets WG BOF (M. Pierce, others TBD)
       - upate/revisit GCE draft doc on portal architectures (begun at
GGF in Japan, 2002).
       - promote new community portal sharing wiki (opengridportals.org)
        - Gather input/volunteers/make plans for an SC05 GCE-Portals
workshop (not a GGF event though).
              -- This activity is based on input from attendees at the
SC04 Portals BOF
              -- Papers will be published in C&C:P&E publication with
overview article to contribute to GGF.
              -- will be posting email soon seeking voluteers to server
on program committiees/etc.

Please let us know your thoughts on what you would like to see emerge
from new GCE-RG activites.

Thanks and we look forward to hearing from you -
Mary, Dennis and Geoffrey

Mary Thomas              Department of Computer Science
mthomas at rohan.sdsu.edu   San Diego State University
(619) 594-1694 (office)  San Diego, CA 92182-7720
(619) 594-6746 (fax)     http://rohan.sdsu.edu/faculty/mthomas
Adv. Comp. Env. Lab      http://acel.sdsu.edu