[fi-rg] Minutes telecon June 21st 2005

Leon Gommans lgommans at science.uva.nl
Tue Jun 21 13:55:18 CDT 2005

Thanks to Thijs Metsch, please find below the minutes of our first
telecon.

General objective:  discuss the upcoming first RG meeting at GGF 14,
Chicago currently scheduled  for June  29th - 9am till 10:30am.

Main subjects for agenda to be discussed at the RG meeting:
* Charter changes
* Document structure
* Presentations / contributions.

a) Charter
During the BoF Session at GGF13 we worked out that a Research Group would
be more appropriate then a Working Group. The charter was changed
acccordingly as
to  reflect a wider scope. Research groups may provide input to
engineering groups
or indicate the need for standards development. The new charter will be
presented
and discussed.

The current charter should also be put to the attention of relevant
other GGF groups.
Contact to other groups like for example the Trusted Computing Group should
be made. Chairs will prepare a short presentation which can be held
during other
Meetings.

b) Document
The document structure will be presented and opened for discussion
and possibly collect idea's about its content. This discussion should make
clear how people can contribute.

Some points we talked about in the structure:
   Definitions
-- Words we are going to use in this document.
- Devices
    List of Devices that are considered within the scope of the group
and their functional description
- Issues
   Should reflect the real world issues which forms the basis of the
work of the group.
   Maybe rename this section to "Use Cases" to be more clear about its
purpose.
   People should feel free to contribute to this section using their own
words and format.
    Different Problem Description types should be put in here
- Classification
    The RG should consider the "Use Case" section and recognize
    classes of issues here.

c) Presentations on GGF
It is important to motivate people to become active in the group.
Each GGF 14 should make some time available for 1 or 2  presentations
where people
show problems, solutions, research. Maybe involve contact certain
Projects (which deal
with Grid Computing should be involved). Leon offered to present research on
token-based networking for high performance access control to lamda grid
links..

A more detailed discussion about the charter and the document and
work-group meeting
structure will be  held at GGF14 in Chicago.