[egr-rg] Use Case Repository draft plan

Toshiyuki Nakata t-nakata at cw.jp.nec.com
Mon Jul 11 08:31:21 CDT 2005

Andre's mail bounced.
Toshi

-------- Original Message --------

From: Andre Merzky <andre at merzky.net>
To: Craig Lee <craig at rush.aero.org>
Cc: "Subramaniam, Ravi" <ravi.subramaniam at intel.com>,
	egr-rg at gridforum.org, andre at merzky.net, kielmann at cs.vu.nl,
	Bruce.R.Barkstrom at nasa.gov, stodghil at cs.cornell.edu, gcf at indiana.edu
Subject: Re: [egr-rg] Use Case Repository draft plan

I absolutely agree with Craig: point is that so many use
cases already exist in various groups, and making _those_
accessable should be a major part of the exercise...

Since most of them follow certain templates, it might be
worthwile also to collect the templates, to help other
groups to reuse them, or parts, for their own use cases.

My 2 cents,

  Andre.

Quoting [Craig Lee] (Jul 10 2005):

> Ravi,
>
> I think it would be very advantageous for GGF to have some uniformity across
> use case formats but it would certainly have to strike the right balance
> between
> semantic content and ease-of-collection, and between structure and
> free-form.
> If we start this use case repository, my feeling was to impose the absoulute
> minimum amount of structure necessary at the start since we will have to
> deal with all the use cases that have already been collected in many
> different
> formats (hence, the use of just keyword lists).  As we go forward, however,
> if EGR can find that right balance of properties, then maybe such a use case
> template could find wider use across GGF. ;->
>
> --Craig
>

> At 02:48 AM 7/9/2005, Subramaniam, Ravi wrote:
> >Hi Craig,
> >
> >Looks good!!
> >
> >I would suggest the EGR Use Case template as a good way to add structure
> >to input that you mention. The template could also be a great way to
> >identify the attributes that need to be tracked on such a page. We don't
> >want to make this similar to a "multiple choice survey" which is easy to
> >take but sparse in semantics and content. We may also need to promote
> >the EGR use case template as a way to build the richer use cases where
> >the web page is a good summary to navigate the "hopefully :-)" large
> >number of use cases.
> >
> >Ravi

| Andre Merzky                      | phon: +31 - 20 - 598 - 7759 |
| Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) | fax : +31 - 20 - 598 - 7653 |
| Dept. of Computer Science         | mail: merzky at cs.vu.nl       |
| De Boelelaan 1083a                | www:  http://www.merzky.net |
| 1081 HV Amsterdam, Netherlands    |                             |

Toshiyuki Nakata 中田 登志之
Chief Engineer, R&D Group NEC
1753, Shimonumabe, Nakahara-Ku,
Kawasaki,Kanagawa 211-8666,Japan
Tel +81-44-431-7653 (NEC Internal 22-60210)
Fax +81-44-431-7681 (NEC Internal 22-60219)