[dvdvol] USPS Guidelines

Scott Schmucker scottsch at ncweb.com
Fri Sep 30 13:34:44 PDT 2011

DVD Project Volunteers:

It's been several years since I was last involved in the CD/DVD project, and
it appears that the USPS guidelines have changed in that time.  As a result,
my old protestations regarding the non-machinable surcharge no longer work.
I'm hoping you can give me some guidance as to whether the 2 DVD envelope
still qualifies, and which regulations should be cited.

After my visit to the post office this morning (where, as often happens,
employees claimed the envelope was non-machinable) I did some research to
bring my understanding of USPS policies up to date.  Based on the following
site:
http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/201.htm#1042622
Under the heading "3.4 Standards for Letter-Size Pieces Containing Discs
(CDs or DVDs)
Letter-sized packages containing "a single disc" are specifically exempted
from the non-machinable surcharge.  However, this seems to imply problems
for the double-disc set.  They also request that the disc be positioned at
the center of the envelope and secured to prevent the disc from shifting
more than 1/2 inch in any direction.

Has anybody performed a more thorough study of current USPS policy?  The
wiki article for the DVD project links to an outdated version of USPS policy
that is no longer posted online.

Thanks for your help!
Scott