[dvdvol] application update discussion

Johnnie CD johnniecd at gmail.com
Fri May 14 17:32:11 PDT 2010

Hello,

For this application the system works well and it is certainly far better
than anything I could come up with.

I would find it most helpful it the city, province/region/whatever, and
postal code were generally in the same field. It doesn't really matter what
the field is called if the label on the form that the user fills out guides
them to consistent entry it would be great. I realize some users will ignore
it but I think some guidance might help. It only matters to me because I
like to export the data from the system and import it into the application
that I use to generate labels. Maybe you could alter the webpage text a
little if it is complicated to change the guts of the program? Of course I
don't know how it is setup I just offer my observations as an end user.

You might even think about making 1 address, 1 city, and 1 postal code
fields mandatory. We still get entries with no street address or no city.
Undeliverable as such I suppose I could try to contact each of them but I
did not do so for all of the old request.

I would also find it helpful if the webpage form limited the number of
characters in each field. Some folks enter strings to long that they will
not fit on an envelope.  I does help to know where the logical breaks go in
international addresses. This also would not matter for everyone that
addresses their envelopes by hand but when exported long entries get
truncated and the additional text has to be edited back in manually.

The other interesting thing is the way the system handles special
characters. Things like " and ' come over as if I were working in html and
have to be edited back to normal text. It is an obvious correction so it
causes no trouble just a little time. If it it is easy for the software to
make the correction that would be nice if not no big issue as the change is
obvious.

Microsoft is driving me nuts with their email. They are prone to spam or
junk anything sent from one email address claiming to be from another unless
it is sent from inside their network. Of course their rules are not as
clearly published as some of the other folks which makes it difficult to
comply. If anyone know how to make them happy I hope they will share.

I look forward to learning how other folks are using the software. Of course
it would not make sense to propose any change unless it makes life easier
for everyone and it requires only a reasonable amount of time to implement.

Johnnie