[dvdvol] Dual Layer DVD

Johnnie CD johnniecd at gmail.com
Sun May 2 12:45:04 PDT 2010

It is wonderful that the new DVD contains many more titles. I am sure that
all of the folks requesting DVDs will appreciate the dramatic increase in
content.

As we all get setup to distribute the new Dual Layer product I am interested
in hearing your thoughts about a couple of items.
1)    What king of prices is everyone finding on DL  disc?
Look like the best I see on a 8.5GB DVD-R from a know vendor (that is in
stock) is around $1.50 for the JVC at CompUSA.  If you guys know of a good
source for a reliable disc that is more cost effective please let me know as
I have not had to purchase DL before so I have ignored them.

2)    Also wondering if all of the active volunteers are setup to download,
burn, and duplicate DL disc?
My download attempt is in process. The torrent is feeding me 200-250k so it
will take most of the day to obtain the file. That’s OK as I do not have any
DL disc in inventory at this point so I will not be able to find out how
long it will take to duplicate. It is a huge amount of data to transfer over
rural networks and it might be necessary to send out some copies in the
mail.

3)    Do you guys have any practical experience with compatibility of DL
disc in old drives?
Everything indicates that they work with  _most_ drives but I don’t know
what that means in practical terms when some of us still have machines
running that are more than 10 years old and what should happen is not always
what actually happens.

Mostly I am just interested in your input but I am also wondering if we need
to modify the dropdown list on the request page to allow folks to specify
their request for the 2006 edition ,  the improved 2010 edition, or maybe
one copy of each? Of course, I am sure we all have some level of inventory
that we need to deplete.

I look forward to hearing your comments!

Johnnie

This communication contains information that may be confidential. Except for
personal use by the intended recipient, or as expressly authorized by the
sender, any person who receives this information is prohibited from
disclosing, copying, distributing, and/or using it. If you have received
this communication in error, please immediately delete it and all copies,
and promptly notify the sender. Nothing in this communication is intended to
operate as an electronic signature under applicable law.