[dvdvol] User feedback from new CD/DVD creation system

Aaron Cannon cannona at fireantproductions.com
Thu Jan 19 17:10:41 PST 2006

At 08:08 PM 1/18/2006, you wrote:
>Aaron,
>
>I find my interactions with Dr. Gill to be a bit surreal. I think he is
>disappointed because I could not send him the "completer set" of everything
>added to the PG collection subsequent to the production of the first CD and
>DVD. That may be his only real complaint.

:) I see.

>Are we planning to refresh the CD and DVD soon? I believe Dr. Widger (among
>others) has been working to update the underlying e-books and to file them
>according to the new PG directory structure. Will we need to create a
>flatter structure for the CD or DVD? I'm concerned that many tiny
>directories will eat up a bunch of precious space.

Basically, the new compilation will get done once we either decide on
what to include, or once someone just does it and says here it
is.  I'm not brave enough to decide what is the "best of Gutenberg"
or most deserving of inclusion.  We can always just keep it simple
and simply let the Gutenberg readers decide, I.E. include all of the
most frequently downloaded books and that's it and make no editorial
judgements of our own, other than to cut out things that are just way
to huge.  I'm starting to think that that is the only real
option.  Otherwise, this thing is never going to get done. :)

As for the ddisc layout, I'm not sure if small directories take up a
lot of space or not.  It would be something worth looking into
though.  I don't know how directory and file information is stored on
CDs and DVDs.

>On a related topic: Should we update the CD/DVD request page to summarize
>the contents of the discs? For example, we might state that they have
>nothing to do with computers. A pointer back to the main index page might
>help some, but someone who lands on the request page from a search engine
>probably just wants what he wants and isn't interested in learning that we
>do not provide what he wants.

I've been thinking about this for a while now, and I believe it would
be a good idea.  If people get the message, it could cut back on the
number of requests we receive.  On the other hand, I sometimes wonder
how many people actually read much of anything from our web
pages.  Maybe we should make them take a short quiz based on the
information on the web page before we let them request a CD or DVD. :)

Anyway, when I have some time, I'll try to update the web pages to
give people a better idea of what the discs contain.

Sincerely
Aaron Cannon