[DRMAA-WG] What information should JobInfo provide ?

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Fri Sep 12 16:18:03 EDT 2014

I think the job template information are easy to add, and make app
writing easier (I don't need to keep the old submitted job template
around...).  Only drawback I see is increase in memory footprint when
used to report on many jobs -- but when used as a filtering
instruction, this should not matter.

My $0,02, Andre.

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 7:48 PM, Peter Tröger <peter at troeger.eu> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> at OGF-42, we stumbled over the issue that „JobInfo“ does not contain the original job name being used in the template:
>
> http://redmine.ogf.org/issues/102
>
> This leads to the situation that you cannot filter for it when doing monitoring.
>
> Although we quickly decided to add it, I meanwhile figured out that this is a deeper problem. JobInfo intentionally contains nothing from the job template at the moment, which makes perfectly sense if you see it as a pure reporting data structure. You don’t need to fetch information that you handed in by yourself as the calling application.
>
> For filtering, however, you obviously want to have all of the template attributes being usable. This is not possible at the moment.
>
> Another case is the „change job template after submission“ magic in Grid Engine, which could lead to the fact that your job has different attributes from what you originally specified. You may also want to see that in the JobInfo structure.
>
> All in all, it seems like that „JobInfo“ needs all of attributes from „JobTemplate“ too, not only the job name.
>
> What do you think ?
>
> Best regards,
> Peter.

It was a sad and disappointing day when I discovered that my Universal
Remote Control did not, in fact, control the Universe.  (Not even
remotely.)