[DRMAA-WG] Meeting Minutes - Conference call - May 4th - 19:00 UTC

Mariusz Mamoński mamonski at man.poznan.pl
Sun May 8 18:57:41 CDT 2011

2011/5/4 Peter Tröger <peter at troeger.eu>:
> Participants: Daniel G., Roger, Mariusz, Peter
>
> - Peter plans to perform "last call" and document submission during June
> (http://bit.ly/iqnFv2)
> - Would lead to running public comment period during OGF32
> - Daniel, Mariusz, and Roger will not be there, Peter tries to
>
>> 2. Discussion of open points from Nadav Brandes (see last mails)
>
> - Limit amount of bulk jobs active at the same time
>        - Supported in Grid Engine, Torque, and LSF
>        - not feasible as optional job template parameter, since it would not
> make any sense for non-bulk jobs
>        - Agreement to apply proposed extension of runBulkJobs() signature
>        - Acts as MAY hint for the DRM system, no promise for consideration
> - Add rerun() method for single jobs
>        - FAILED must keep it's current terminal semantic
>        - same functionality can be achieved be submitting failed jobs again
> with the original job template, which is available from the job
>
>> 3. Solving remaining issues in DRMAAv2 Draft 3
>
> - Recent discussion about hard limits on the list
>        - Agreement that most systems ultimatively map to OS setrlimit()
>        - Decision to describe hard limit violation effect per ResourceLimitTpe
> entry
>        - Decision to only specify if jobs fails or does not fail
>        - All further effects (e.g. no more open() calls possible) are out of
> scope for DRMAA, since they relate to operating system behavior on
> execution host
>
> - Proposal my Mariusz to have machine state indication
>        - Machine struct used to represent installed hosts
>        - Might be not available for job execution at the time of querying
>        - Decision to have boolean flag expressing usability of machine for job
> execution (== as part of a candidateHosts list)
>        - Denote timeing issues - machine state might changing between querying
> and actual job submission
>        - No implication on job submission success if unavailable hosts are
> used in the specfication -> job might stay QUEUED until the machine
> becomes available again
>
> - Proposal by Mariusz to bundle DRMAA implementation capability check
>        - Meanwhile different optional functions (event notification, advanced
> reservation)
>        - Agreement to have session function which takes an entry from a
> capability enumeration as input, and returns a Boolean of this feature
> is supported
>
>> Draft version 4 may arrive in time before the call.
>
> It did not. Mariusz is working on advance reservation part during the
> weekend.

attached (i do not have commit rights to the DRMAA svn project). I
have also created (and filled!) a new tab in the Google Spreadsheets
for advance reservations:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AqyvnBscJNqxcnJBSUs5dXRrU29EUVhGOGthc1lDTFE&hl=en#gid=12

Daniel, Could you try to review the Grid Engine column?