[DRMAA-WG] DRMAA2

Nadav Brandes nadavbrandes at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 02:23:17 CST 2011

The newer API specification does look a great deal better, and obviously I
came up with some irrelevant questions.

I'll let you decide what you think about those issues I mentioned that are
still relevant, but first I want to elaborate a little bit about
the job-arrays feature, which is the most crucial feature for us.

When dealing with job arrays, each task actually has two IDs (The ID of the
whole job-array, and the index of the task within the job-array).
Therefore, in job-arrays, all of the queries and actions that are performed
on jobs according to the current DRMAA specification, are actually performed
upon tasks, which are identified by two IDs instead of one, and except of
that are perfectly similar to single jobs.

All I said so far doesn't make any significant difference, and is only a
matter of terminology. But the important thing about job-arrays is the
ability to perform inclusive queries and operations on them.
For example, one can terminate all of the tasks in a job-array using a
single command (supplying only the ID of the whole job-array, without
needing to give the ID of each task, which might be very exhausting for
users).
An example for a more advanced logic that one might want to perform on
job-arrays is to rerun all the failed tasks in a given job-array.
Another advanced logic might be to limit the number of tasks that may run
simultaneously in a job-array (for example, submitting a job-array
containing 1000 tasks, where only 10 tasks are allowed to run simultaneously
at a given time).
The greatest advantage of job-arrays, is the ability of users to "remember"
many tasks with a single ID, what is impossible to do when submitting many
single jobs.

Many schedulers (like LSF) support all these features, and you can see it
implemented in a growing number of scheduler.

We believe that DRMAA should support these features as well, by being more
"job-arrays oriented". I truly believe that DRMAA will be better if it
supports job-arrays.