[DRMAA-WG] Conference call - Apr 27th - 19:00 UTC

Mariusz Mamoński mamonski at man.poznan.pl
Sat Apr 30 13:47:18 CDT 2011

Hi,

I finally managed to read the current version of spec more carefully.
Bellow some comments (line numbering corresponds to version annotated
as "draft3"):

line 81: DRMAA1 -> DRMAA Version 1 [reference]
94,95: A Exec.. -> An Exec
159: advanced -> advance
296: "Machine structure" - should we include machine state here (e.g.
down, administratively down, available, busy, ...) ?
316:  consistent... -> consistent among all Machine struct instances.
Moreover any reported name should be a syntactically correct input for
the candidateMachines attribute of the JobTemplate. ???
361: any jobSubState - is there really any case where this would a
complex object? Why just not use string here (Yes i know, in the spec
there is a requirement that language binding should define conversion
to String for every object, but this may be complex... ;-)
370: missing \n
377-383: running, buffered, purged -> i think this sections needs to
be more precisely and verbose. In DRMAA 1.0 the wait call was
responsible for reaping the jobs. This is important because some DRMS
do not "buffer" jobs at all (or do it for a very short time) and the
buffering has to be done in the DRMAA library (for the session's jobs
only), this implies the question: how long to buffer the job
information...
395: exitStatus - should we state here that the valid exitStatus
values are 0-125 ?
445: cpuTime - should we state here that it is cumulative time among
all the job processes? i.e. cpu time can be grater than wall clock
time for parallel jobs
497: maybe we should add "Dictionary consumableResources;" @see Nadev
e-mail  I also raised this during one of the last telcos...
594: "execution host" -> "submission host" ???
652: maxSlots should be optional (e.g. Torque do not support range values)
657: SHOULD -> MAY - at least until we don't have predefined JobCategories ;-)
785: SessionManagementException - what is the added value of this
exception? can it be thrown from other operations than
open/close/destroy Session? If not then why we don't have
WaitException, RunException? ;-)
791: OutOfMemoryException - can we also throw this exception when the
user supplied buffer was to small?
829: reservationSupported - maybe we can move it now to
DrmaaReflective interface?
948: FAILED vs DONE - maybe we should be more precisely for situation
when the job was started but: e.g. exited with exitcode != 0 (i
believe this should be DONE), was signalled, terminated via DRMAA,
967: REQUEUED, REQUEUED_HELD and BES states. Because BES state model
prohibits transition between the Running to Pending... so it it should
be Running state. Also the state names in brackets looks like
specialization of one of the BES implementations (i will not say which
implementation ;-) so they are definitively non-normative.
1035: The largest valid value for endIndex MUST be defined by the
language binding. - there may be also DRMS constraint.
1047: "only one of the active thread..." - is this requirement really
needed? i'm asking because i'm afraid this would increase complexity
of the implementations (do you remember the "session any" and its
coincidence with run job operations?). This may be related to comment
377-383.
1063: "DrmaaCallback Interface"....

I just wonder if the requirement "An implementation SHOULD also
disallow any library calls while the callback function is running, to
avoid recursion scenarios. It is	RECOMMENDED to raise
TryLaterException in this case." is really needed.  If we want to keep
this requirement is the Job object useful at all as we can only read
the jobId from it?

1109-1110: why those methods returns the Job objects?

1262: footnote 30 (what about symmetry ;-) Also last decision was to
have separate ReservationInfo struct:
http://www.mail-archive.com/drmaa-wg@ogf.org/msg00250.html (when it
was revoked?)

1508: reservationInfoOpt, reservationInfoImpl - what if one want to
provide more information about the reservation?, also the symmetry
rule ;-), relates to 1262
         should we also move the drmsJobCategoryNames here (from
MonitoringSession)?

sorry for not waiting for the newest version but i wanted to finish it
before i will go for holidays (i will not be able to join the next
telco)

All the best,

2011/4/27 Peter Tröger <peter at troeger.eu>:
> Dear all,
>
> the next DRMAA conf call is scheduled for Apr 27th, 19:00 UTC. We meet on
> Skype, please find me under my user name "potsdam_pit".
>
> Preliminary meeting agenda:
>
> 1. Meeting secretary for this meeting?
> 2. Solving remaining issues in DRMAAv2 Draft 3 (see attachment, starting
> from page 18)
>
> Sorry, I didn't had the time to prepare a new draft.
>
> Best regards,
> Peter.

Mariusz