[DRMAA-WG] Meeting Minutes - Conference call - Apr 6th - 19:00 UTC

Peter Tröger peter at troeger.eu
Wed Apr 6 15:30:14 CDT 2011

Participants: Daniel Gruber, Mariusz Mamonski, Andre Merzcy, Peter Tröger.

Organizational aspects:

- Oracle bridge is no longer available for us
- Skype conference call worked fine, we continue like this
- Daniel will check for possibilities with Univa
- If US participants are still missing next week, we will move to a more Europe-friendly time slot

DRMAAv2 Draft 2:

- Decision to remove last sentence in line 101
	- Boolean UNSET mapping should also be part of the language binding
	- Example from Andre: Struct might map to dictionary, which can just leave out keys in case of UNSET
- Discussion about throwing out IRIX / TRUE64, not accepted since this enumeration was already heavily discussed
- Line 182, add CRAY: rejected, we are not aware of any relevant DRM system available on CRAY; its also not an operating system
- Line 198: Question about POWER, turned out that POWER is a subset of the PPC instruction set architecture, so the current solution is fine
- Section 4.2: Discussion about adding GPU support
	- There are no good standards for GPU instruction set architectures, so having abstract GPU type definitions would be hard
	- Current DRM system support is also mostly based on targeting some Linux host with specialized resource demand formulations
	- This is solved way better with job categories
- Line 246: Comparison of wall clock time definitions in several DRM systems
	- Weak agreement of defining it as time in RUNNING state plus time in SUSPENDED state (ok for Condor, Grid Engine)
	- Mariusz still tries to find an example were SUSPENDED state is not included
	- Final decision next weak,especially if inclusion of SUSPENDED is marked as "MAY" or "MUST"
- Line 249, question by Daniel Katz: Yes, this is a standard feature, e.g. for advance reservation support. Add note in the rationale section.
- Line 272: Remove first sentence, since this violates the "opaque concept" statement in the next sentence.
- Line 277: New proposal by Mariusz - replace "maxWallclockTime" with a generic dictionary for queue attributes
	- Would allow to report DRM-specific properties of a queue, in the same opaque sense as the queue name
	- Only helpful for portal case, should not be the base for programmatic decisions
	- No clear decision, deferred to next week

The next conference call with Skype will take place in one week (Apr 13th, 19:00 UTC)

Best regards,
Peter.