[DRMAA-WG] Load average interval ?

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Thu Mar 25 19:09:56 CDT 2010

Quoting [Peter Tr?ger] (Mar 26 2010):

> Condor usually reports the number of cores incl. hyperthreaded ones,
> which confirms to the 'concurrent threads' metric Daniel proposed. To
> my (negative) surprise, they report nothing else:
>
> http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v7.5/3_3Configuration.html#16294
>
> When we only look into this case, the according attribute could be
> named 'supportedSlots', since we created the understanding of slots as
> resources for concurrent job activities / threads / processes. The
> sockets attribute would not be implementable in Condor. The value of
> the cores attribute could be guessable (supportedSlots/2).

Please don't hardcode that number '2': that is only valid for Intels
Hyperthreading, and only at this point in time... ;-)

Anyway: if one has to chose, the hardware threads are likely more
useful than cores, IMHO, although learning both, or even the full
hierarchy (nodes/sockets/cores/threads) would be simply nice...

Best, Andre.