[DRMAA-WG] Conference call - Jun 23th - 19:00 UTC

Daniel Templeton daniel.templeton at oracle.com
Wed Jun 23 15:20:17 CDT 2010

As promised on the call, here's the summary of the monitoring
discussion.  Please add your comments and corrections.

o The monitoring session is should provide parallel functionality to the
job session's job monitoring for monitoring all jobs in the cluster.
o The job monitoring capability for the monitoring session should
support a query filter
o The job monitoring capability for the monitoring session will return a
set of job objects that contain a set of core information and a
dictionary of optional information that will be "standardized" through
the drmaa.org site.
o The job monitoring capability should be able to return jobs from
any/all users.
o The DRM or DRMAA implementation is at liberty to restrict the set of
returned jobs based on site or system policies, such as security settings.
o The job monitoring model will assume that the DRM system has three job
information states: running, buffered, purged.  Only information for
jobs that are still running or are still held in the buffer of finished
job information will be reported.  Jobs that have been purged out to
accounting will be ignored.
o Exit status will be an optional component of the job object.  It will
only be available for jobs still held in the DRM system's buffer.

Does that sound accurate and complete?  I'll leave it to Peter or
Mariusz to generate the IDL. :)

One thing that we didn't discuss to completion was scalability.  With
the job session monitoring, the set of jobs is likely to be
significantly smaller than the complete set of jobs, especially when
including the DRM's finished job buffer.  In both cases, however, there
should be some facility to deal with massive job counts.  Filtering is
certainly one option.  An application could query only a limited set at
a time, but that places a fairly large burden on the app developers.
The ivory tower solution would be some sort of cursor, but I don't think
we really want to go there.  Thoughts?

Daniel