[DRMAA-WG] Conference call - Feb 17th - Meeting minutes

Peter Tröger peter at troeger.eu
Mon Feb 22 02:58:33 CST 2010

Hi,

I accidentally lost by written notes, so here is what I can remember. Mariusz, Roger, please free to correct me ...

Thanks,
Peter.

--- snip

> the next DRMAA phone conference is scheduled on Feb 17th at 20:00 UTC.

Attendees: Roger, Mariusz, Peter

> 1. Meeting secretary for this meeting?

Peter

> 2. OGF28 planning

Peter is there from Wed, Mariusz the whole week. No other commitments so far.

> 3. Work distribution for remaining research tasks (see mailing list)

Roger offered to check IDL -> C conversion approaches, taking the W3C DOM spec as example. Mariusz is helping with the advanced reservation part.
Still waiting for other people to volunteer.

> 4. File staging details (see mailing list)

We take the roughly agreed approach from the list:
- optional feature, since most cluster systems anyway demand a shared file system
- list of "stageIn" and "stageOut" operations
- only copying, since working directories are normally reaped; implementations also typically use remote copying commands
- only transfers between submission and execution host - no host names needed; other hosts would demand a security concept
- support for star wildcard, transfer of single files or directories
- path syntax according to operating system conventions on the submission host

> 5. Decision - Fetching a list of valid contact strings

Not implementable in Condor, might also be impossible for SGE (get the list of all SGE cell names ?). We tend to reject this, but still wait for Dan / Daniel to comment.

> 6. Move JobInfo attributes into Job interface ?

Distinguishing seems to have no technical reason, looks more like an evolved layout. We tend to do the merger, but still wait for more comments.

> 7. Thread safety in waitAnyStarted

Not discussed due to session timeout.