[DRMAA-WG] Work distribution

Peter Tröger peter at troeger.eu
Wed Feb 17 04:38:59 CST 2010

Hi,

> Some thoughts:
> - most of the batch systems were designed to work with network shared
> file system. However one can imagine a situation when the home file

> - i would prefer to keep this interface as simple as possible and thus
> handle the only case that can not be handled without interaction with
> DRMS: staging file from submission host to execution host, as the
> execution host is usually not know before a job starts.

This brings the new file staging approach closer to what we had in DRMAAv1. The unknown execution host is a very valid argument, since we implicitly assume that staging happens before job start. Your research also shows that at LSF can only copy from / to the submission host, which definitely kills the idea of free server transfers. I can live with that.

> - in order to keep the interface really simply i would assume that
> file names (not necessary the absolute paths) are the same both on
> execution host and submission host. (again if not, the user can do
> easily some workaround by copying/moving the file on submission host).

Interesting. So the idea is to stage only whole directories ? What is if I only want to move the STDIN file, and nothing else ?

> So my proposition of the DRMAA staging interface looks as follows:
> split "fileTransfers" attribute into two attributes (also of the
> OrderedStringList type):
> - stageInFiles
> - stageOutFiles
> which are simple list of files to be staged-in/staged-out (no URLs,
> only paths). The paths can be relative (to current working directory
> on submission host, and job working directory on execution host).

I like that, despite the fact that I would like to see single file / wildcard support as discussed last time in the phone call.

Let's find some agreement in todays phone call.

Best,