[DRMAA-WG] 26 May Meeting Minutes

Tue May 26 12:18:10 CDT 2009

26 May 2009 Meeting Minutes

---------------------------

o Minutes from previous meeting accepted
o Results of research into JSDL requestable resources in Google Docs
  - http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=rrAIK9utkSoDQXF8kasYCLQ
  - The set of monitorable attributes is not the same as the set of the
requestable attributes
  - Easiest way to handle monitoring resources would be like the job
template
    . Some required, some optional, openly extensible
  - Should be able to monitor jobs that aren't in your session, just
like drmaa_job_ps()
    . Means that we need to be able to report attributes we'd normally
expect to have known fixed values
    . Also need to consider that job attributes can be altered after
submission, by user or admin
  - Two ways to pick resources: find the intersection of all
DRM-supported attributes or find out if all support the ones we want
    . Easier to check if all support the ones we think are important
    . host name - the name of the host on which the job (or master task)
is running
    . slave names - the names of the hosts on which the job's slave
tasks are running
    . anything that can be set in the job template
    . submission host - the name of the host from which the job was
submitted
    . job owner - the name of the user who submitted the job
    . wallclock time - amount of time since the job was started
    . CPU time - amount of CPU seconds consumed
    . submission time, dispatch time, start time, finish time
    . wallclock limit - amount of time remaining until the job will be
terminated
    . memory usage and limits
      ~ What to do about parallel jobs? Want to know what every slave is
doing; maybe a separate attribute
    . data? Not reported by all DRMs
    . host information - OS, architecture, etc. - maybe let the user
figure it out from the host name
      ~ Expand the API to allow for querying host information
o Need to complete list of attribute proposals and then check if it's
mappable to all DRMs
o DRMAA face-to-face at ISC will be June 23rd and 24th in Hamburg