[DRMAA-WG] DRMAA2: Job State Model Discussion

Peter Tröger peter at troeger.eu
Sun Jan 18 14:18:31 CST 2009

Dear all,

this discussion thread is intended to clarify the new job state model
in DRMAA2.

DRMAA1 allows the following job states:
UNDETERMINED
QUEUED_ACTIVE
SYSTEM_ON_HOLD
USER_ON_HOLD
USER_SYSTEM_ON_HOLD
RUNNING
SYSTEM_SUSPENDED
USER_SUSPENDED
USER_SYSTEM_SUSPENDED
DONE
FAILED

The following questions are already identified, please provide your
expertise:

Which states need to be removed / added from the viewpoint of PBS,
LSF, Condor, SGE, Unicore, GridWay, OGSA-BES and SAGA ?

Which of the job states were never realized in DRMAA implementations ?
Can we remove them ?

Which of the states are too generic ? How do we resolve this ?

Which of the existing state transitions are a problem ? Missing ones ?

Do we want an extensible job state model as in OGSA-BES ? If yes, how
to realize ?

More questions are welcome, but first try to answer the given ones.

Thanks,