[DRMAA-WG] Meeting Minutes

Tue Feb 17 15:19:51 CST 2009

o Attendees:
  - Hrabri Rajic
  - Peter Troeger
  - Daniel Templeton
  - Roger Brobst
  - Daniel Grueber
o 3 Feb "unofficial" Minutes -- accepted
o Job substates
  - Three alternatives: integer, string, or object
    . Integers
      Highly portable
      Must be interpreted according to DRM-specific header information
      Could be misinterpreted because of DRM mismatch
      Misinterpretation results in confused application
      Natural in all languages, but may clash stylistically with native
enumerations
    . Strings
      Highly portable
      Must be interpreted according to DRM-specific header information
      Could be misinterpreted because of DRM mismatch
      Misinterpretation results in confused application
      Requires string interpretation -- lots of sources for errors
      Natural to Python, unnatural to other languages
    . Object -- void* or hash or Object, depending on the language
      Allows maximum flexibility per language and DRM
      Must be interpreted according to DRM-specific header information
      Failure to interpret correctly results in a segfault or
ClassCastException
      Natural in most (all?) languages
  - We also have to consider how to represent in IDL
  - We will continue the discussion online and vote at the next meeting